Teenagers and adults alike seek orthodontic treatment to help them obtain a beautiful and healthy smile. Since the introduction of Invisalign, a more aesthetically pleasing alternative to metal braces, the number of people pursuing treatment has increased. Although popular and effective, Invisalign patients will have a different experience compared to those who opt for metal, or traditional braces. Keep reading to learn what to expect when undergoing Invisalign treatment, so that you will be adequately prepared.
Benefits of Invisalign
Most dental patients are initially drawn to Invisalign, as the aligner trays are less noticeable than metal braces. However there are other noteworthy benefits. The thin and clear shells work faster than metal braces, and are relatively pain-free. You will likely experience soreness as your teeth shift, but you will not experience tissue injury. Invisalign trays are also easy to remove and reinsert, meaning you can enjoy the foods that are restricted with metal braces. Finally, as the aligners are removable, cleaning both the trays and your teeth will be less of a hassle. With good oral hygiene habits, your teeth will be less susceptible to discoloration and cavities than with traditional braces.
Things You Should Know
- Wear your aligners as much as possible – Invisalign requires patients to wear the aligners for a minimum of 22 hours per day. Resist the temptation to remove your aligners as much as possible, and you will reap the reward of a faster treatment period. The more you wear them, the faster you will forget they are there!
- You must take them out to eat – A downside to Invisalign is that you have to remove the trays to eat. That being said, the removable aspect means you can eat more than you could if you had opted for braces. A common mistake Invisalign patients make is wrapping their aligners in napkins at mealtimes, and accidentally tossing them out. Avoid this by using the provided case at all times!
- The aligner trays will discolor – You will be issued a new Invisalign aligner every two weeks. You can bet by the end of those two weeks, there will be some significant discoloration to the trays. To prevent this, clean the trays every day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. It’s also a good habit to give the trays a quick rinse when you remove them ‒ it will help you feel less icky!
- The dentist may adjust your teeth – To assist in aligning your teeth, your dentist may offer to file some teeth down slightly. This quick and painless step will help your teeth have a more uniform shape, and will allow your teeth to fit in the aligner trays more comfortably.
- Prepare to brush your teeth a lot – On any given day, you likely get a variety of foods stuck in your teeth. Normally, this is not an issue, as our saliva and the amount of water we drink washes most of it away. When you wear an aligner tray for 22 hours a day however, food can be trapped for an extended period. For this reason it is very important that you brush your teeth more often ‒ each time you eat, in fact.
- You will have to floss frequently – The same as brushing, you will have to floss more often. Floss each time your eat a meal, as well as in the morning and evening.
- Teeth may feel loose – If your teeth feel loose, don’t panic! Before your teeth can shift into the correct position, they must first be slightly loosened. This is natural, and once they are properly aligned, the teeth will again settle in firmly.
- You may speak differently – A side effect of wearing the plastic aligners is that you may notice that you are unable to enunciate clearly. Most people have a lisp for a few days following each new set of aligners, but no worries, it won’t last.
- You will have a retainer – After successfully achieving the smile of your dreams, you will no longer be issued Invisalign trays. Instead, you will receive a retainer that will help keep your teeth from shifting.
At NK Family Dental, we are proud to offer Invisalign clear aligners for patients who want to experience the benefits of standard braces without metal or wires. Encounter the benefits of exceptional dental treatment and service by contacting us to schedule your appointment today. Our team of highly trained professionals will be glad to assess your unique dental situation in order to provide the best method of treatment possible to help you achieve the smile of your dreams.